It started out as an embarrassment of riches for fans of hip-hop; not one but two rap bonanzas, each featuring some huge names in the field.
Sure, both Supafest 4 and the inaugural Movement Festival were to take place on the same days in Sydney (April 26), Melbourne (April 27) and Brisbane (April 28) but fans would at least get to choose between the classy, credible likes of Nas and 2 Chainz at Movement, and chart-conquering stars 50 Cent and T.I. at Supafest. Both festivals were also scheduled to visit Perth (Supafest on April 25 and Movement on April 30).
But now hip-hop fans will have to make alternative plans for their Anzac Day weekend. Movement has been cancelled and Supafest has been postponed until November.
A press release from Live Nation and Niche Productions, the joint promoters of Movement, said: “Recent developments, including the withdrawal of Angel Haze (due to a clash in recording commitments) and more recently 2 Chainz (due to visa issues resulting from a pending unresolved court case) led to a change of venues in some markets, which has prompted patron feedback that the event no longer reflected what had been advertised.
“Live Nation and Niche launched Movement with the intention of providing a well-organised, fully funded, multi-artist hip-hop and urban music festival to overcome the disappointment that has occurred in the past due to event cancellations and talent withdrawals from similar events in recent years.
“Despite their best endeavours, the producers have been unable to fulfil their commitment and, as such, it has been determined that the festival will not go ahead.”
Meanwhile, a post on the Supafest website this afternoon stated that “there was difficulty completing venue contract arrangements for the Melbourne and Brisbane legs of the festival and, as such, [organisers have] been unable to proceed with the tour at this time”.
Promoter Dwayne Cross said: “We want Supafest 4 to be the biggest and best urban-music festival in Australia and we want it to be here for our fans every year. This year we simply need more time to get it right.”
Refunds to both events will be granted as required. Supafest fans also have the option of retaining their tickets for the rescheduled November event, at which organisers are “optimistic that all artists currently promoted on the bill will be available and willing to be part of”.
And if all the great acts these events promised eventually do make it to Australia, perhaps next time someone will have the foresight to ensure they don’t play on the same dates.