Good fire procedures save 400 lives in Sydney hostel

In Australian Domestic Tourism, Government, National Headlines, New South Wales

TTN:

Around 400 people were led to safety overnight after a fire broke out in a Sydney hostel at 4am Wednesday 8th May 2013.

Superintendent Tom Cooper of Fire and Rescue NSW said on ABC Radio that an automatic remote fire alarm and good fire procedures saved the lives of 400 people.

From abc.net.au

Around 400 people were led to safety overnight after a fire broke out in a Sydney hostel.

The blaze broke out in a bedroom on the second floor of the CBD backpackers at about 4:00am (AEST).

Emergency services were called and hundreds of people were moved into Pitt Street.

Superintendant Tom Cooper from Fire and Rescue New South Wales says crews managed to contain the blaze to the bedroom.

“Once the fire was out they were quickly allowed back into their rooms,” he said.

“The fire is believed to have been caused by tea light candles on the bedside table.

“The gentleman has tried to extinguish the fire and in doing so he’s burnt his hands on the plastic bedside table.

“The fire has been confined to one room and to the bedding in that room.”

The man was taken to hospital along with a woman, who suffered smoke inhalation.

You may also read!

Immerse yourself in Kakadu’s Indigenous culture at the Mayali Mulil Festival

“Connect with our culture, our environment and our spirit” is the message of the Indigenous Traditional Owners of Kakadu’s

Read More...
Jetstars $22 domestic sale

Huge jetstar sale

Jetstar has dropped a 4-day sale for fares to the Sunshine Coast from just $60* Over 20,000 sale

Read More...

Gold Coast Beer & Cider Festival

After being forced to postpone by last year’s pandemic, the inaugural Gold Coast Beer & Cider Festival will now take place

Read More...

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.

Mobile Sliding Menu