Death threats made as tourism conman gets desparate

In Attractions, Australian Domestic Tourism, Harmonisation, Momentum, National Headlines, Northern Territory

PHOTO: Dean Mousillon, just two years ago when he was known as Dene Broadbent. Dene is only 19years old in this 2012 photo, yet just two years later has tricked many councils into festival commitments, saying he’d worked with ‘iconic alcohol brands’, The Australian Defence Force and the Bathurst 1000. A whistleblower to Dene’s game has now received death threats.

Despite Dene Mousillon/ Broadbent being known to NSW and NT Police, Darwin Council have failed to pull the plug on Mr Mousillon/ Broadbent’s current venture, the Infinity Music Festival, set to be held on 11th October 2014 at the Darwin Ampitheatre, which is a Darwin Council asset. Tickets worth $107.87 are still being sold on the event website.

Whistleblower gets death threat after warning about Infinity dance music promoter

From the NT News 17th March 2014

A WHISTLEBLOWER who warned Territorians about an alleged con man spearheading a Darwin music festival has been told there “might be a bullet coming for you” in a recorded­ death threat.

Skip Film Productions Sydney director Noel Sadler was one of many sources who claimed that Infinity Music Festival director Dene Mussillon left a trail of unpaid bills in his wake, in an article published in the Sunday Territorian on March 16.

Mr Sadler received a threatening voicemail from a woman calling from a blocked number last Sunday, the same day the story broke. Mr Sadler claims he recognised the caller’s voice as an associate of Mr Mussillon’s, who he had heard from several times before.

“Watch your f***ing back Sadler,” the woman allegedly said. “F***ing watch your house might get f***ing set on fire. There might be a bullet coming for ya’. You f***ing dickhead. So just watch your f***ing self. Want to go causing trouble for f***ing other people­. You had better just f***ing watch yourself.”

Mr Sadler described the threats as “very upsetting”.

“I have small children that live at home also,” he said.

“You can’t treat death threats lightly as you just don’t if the person will act on the threats or not.”

Mr Sadler has passed the audio on to police.

“I could not believe that someone would leave a death threat on a phone voice message­ that can be traced back to the person that made it,” he said.

NSW Police confirmed that the “matters” relating to Mr Mussillon were the subject of “an ongoing investigation”.

“As that inquiry is ongoing, no further comment can be made,” a police statement said.

The Infinity Music Festival is scheduled to run at the Darwin­ Amphitheatre on October 11. The venue has been tentatively booked but payment is not required until later in the year.

Many of Mr Mussillon’s past business associates claim they were not paid for their services and have raised concerns that those affiliated with the Infinity Music Festival will suffer the same fate.

Dream Media Darwin managing director Chris O’Brien said he had already been ripped off by Mr Mussillon.

“He owes us around $21,000 for camera equipment we sent him to Alice Springs for a job he said he was doing for Channel 9,” Mr O’Brien said. “We filed a report with police and they said they were looking for him.”

Several of the acts being promoted on the Infinity Music Festival website have been pulled from the event in recent weeks. Tickets are already being sold for $51.62 and $107.87 on the festival’s website despite it featuring outdated information about the line-up.

Consumer Affairs NT Commissioner Gary Clements said if the event did not go ahead, those who had bought tickets would be entitled to a refund.

Mr Mussillon told the NT News he had no comment regarding the fraud claims.

Con artist targets Darwin music fans

From NT News 13th March 2014

TERRITORIANS are being warned to steer clear of an electro music festival to be held in Darwin amid claims the festival director is a con man who has left a trail of unpaid bills in his wake and is being investigated by police.

The Infinity Music Festival is set to launch at Darwin Amphitheatre on October 11.

The announcement comes after the festival was cancelled in several interstate regional towns including Dubbo, Wellington and Narromine in NSW when councils were warned against dealing with the organiser Dene Mussillon.

Mr Mussillon — who also goes by the last names Broadbelt and Morgan — told the NT News he “would have been arrested by now” if he had done anything wrong.

Mr Mussillon, 21, has “tentatively” booked the Darwin Amphitheatre to hold two stages, thousands of revellers and more than 18 artists for the first leg of the tour.

He has advertised “yet-to-be-announced” dates to follow the Top End gig in Canberra, Airlie Beach, Coffs Harbour and Wagga Wagga.

The Infinity Music Festival website features artists MARLO, Samual James, Ivan Gough and Vandalism as some of the acts set to perform at the festival.

But the artists’ agent Duane Buriani-Gennai said he decided to pull the four acts several weeks ago because he “didn’t feel comfortable” with the event after researching it.

Tickets are already being sold for $51.62 and $107.87 on the festival’s website despite a deposit not yet being paid or contracts signed by Mr Mussillon to secure the booking with Darwin Council.

Darwin Council chief executive Brendan Dowd said standard procedures were being followed in relation to the booking.

Narromine mayor Bill McAnally said he was approached late last year by Mr Mussillon to discuss holding the first festival. Mr McAnally said further discussions were abandoned when “police rang (him) chasing (Mr Mussillon) on fraud charges”.

“He disappeared and we haven’t heard from him since,” he said.

Wellington Council general manager Michael Tolhurst said he decided not to get involved with the festival after “receiving some calls and doing some research”.

Dubbo mayor Mathew Dickerson said Mr Mussillon approached the council about the event but “didn’t want to pay a deposit or sign any contracts”.

The festival was then moved to Darwin, prompting several of Mr Mussillon’s past business associates to warn Territorians against dealing with him.

Some of them have joined a private Facebook page created for “victims” of Mr Mussillon.

It has about 100 members.

Ulladulla Web Design owner Scott Richardson said he was contacted by Mr Mussillon to create posters and online flyers for the Infinity Music Festival in December last year.

He said Mr Mussillon never paid him the $2000 for his work.

“We require a 50 per cent deposit upfront, which he sent us a receipt for, but it proved to be dodgy as the money never hit our account,” he said.

“Once he realised we had caught on to him, he jumped ship,” Mr Richardson said.

Mr Richardson said he reported the incident to police at the time but had not heard from them since.

Genevieve Flanders said she was employed by Mr Mussillon to work for $41 per hour as a tour manager for the Infinity Music Festival.

She quit her waitressing job to take on the role but said Mr Mussillon “shut (her) out” when she Googled his name and questioned him over what she found.

“There was lots of stuff about him being a fraud,” she said.

Eagle Embroidery business owner Roy Day said Mr Mussillon owes him more than $2000 for unpaid services.

Mr Day, based in Bega NSW, said Mr Mussillon made two separate orders to embroider “photographer” and “crew” on to work uniforms for the Infinity Music Festival and post them to a Bateman’s Bay address.

“Every time I sent an (invoice by) email he said ‘I’ll send to accounts department and have them fix it’ ,” Mr Day said.

“It’s now with debt collectors.”

Mr Broadbelt registered four new business names between August 13 2013 and January 16 this year; Aquaholic Photography Australia, Colemans Studios and VA Entertainment Australia and Infinity Music Festival.

NSW Skip Productions owner Noel Sadler said that Mr Mussillon contacted him as Dene Broadbelt and commissioned him to make an advertisement for Aquaholic Photography late last year.

“He ripped me off and didn’t pay up,” Mr Sadler said.

“I’ve sent a letter to the Darwin mayor to warn (her) about making any deals with Dene but I haven’t heard back.”

Burswood Car Rentals owner Morrison Todd said Mr Mussillon owes him about $4000 for damaging a hired vehicle and unpaid bills.

“We had a credit card (when Mr Mussillon made the booking) but it stopped working after about one week,” he said.

It is understood Mr Mussillon owes at least $2000 in unpaid motel accounts, including at the Quality Inn Ambassador Orange.

Mr Mussillon was also at the centre of a dispute between unpaid performers at the Eagle FM Mini Day Event and Goulburn Radio in March 2013.

NSW Police confirmed that the “matters” relating to Mr Mussillon were the subject of “an ongoing investigation”.

“As that inquiry is ongoing, no further comment can be made,” a police statement said.

Mr Mussillon told the NT News he also had “no further comment to make”.

Festival plug pulled

From Narromine News Online, 24th January 2014

Plans for the Infinity Music Festival, due to be held in Narromine in October, have been put on hold as the Narromine Council has been warned against dealing with festival director, Dene Mussillon.

Mr Mussillon or Dene Broadbelt as he is also known, has been accused of not paying for bills or services by people he has worked with previously.

Noel Sadler owns a small film business in Sydney called Skip Films Productions and has worked with Mr Mussillon before.

“He’s such a sweet talker, he could convince your own mother to hate you,” Mr Sadler said.

Mr Sadler was commissioned by Mr Mussillon to make an advertisement for the photography company he owned as Dene Broadbelt called Aquaholic Photography. He refused to pay Mr Sadler, only giving him a deposit for his services.

“During the whole production he didn’t pay for anything, not accommodation and catering, and that’s just the beginning,” Mr Sadler said.

Mr Mussillon owed Mr Sadler $2500, a huge amount for a small production company like Skip Films.

“I had a bad feeling from the beginning. What he was planning was going to cost a lot of money.” – Narromine mayor Bill McAnally

Mr Mussillon said this was not the first time Mr Sadler had warned councils against him and that as of close of business yesterday, his legal team was filing a civil suit in the Supreme Court.

“We’re taking him for defamation. We’ve had ongoing problems and we’re at a bit of a loss with what to do with him. He’s been contacting town mayors and the Infinity Festival has suffered from it. And with everything else he’s a bit of a pain in the backside,” Mr Mussillon said.

When Mr Sadler heard that the 21-year-old Mr Mussillon planned to bring an electro festival to the central west, he warned the councils of his concerns immediately.

“He wouldn’t be able to pull the festival off, he’s had no experience, no infrastructure and his staff have never been paid,” he said.

Narromine mayor Bill McAnally met with Mr Mussillon and his team last week to show them the show ground, a potential venue for the event.

“I had a bad feeling from the beginning,”he said. “What he was planning was going to cost a lot of money.”

The mayor has since requested Mr Mussillon removes anything Narromine-related from his websites and social media networks.

Despite this, Mr Mussillon is still campaigning for Narromine to be the venue for the inaugural festival.

“We can’t say it’s Narromine exactly, but we’re still going to do the town drop on January 30,” Mr Mussillon said. “If we don’t kick off the tour with Narromine, we might end it with Narromine.”

Mr Mussillon also pledged to make a donation to a local charity, a move Mr Sadler said Mr Mussillon had used before.

Mr Mussillon admits this is the first festival he and his company VA Entertainment Australia have taken on, but claims to have worked with iconic alcohol labels, the Australian Defence Force and the Bathurst 1000 before. Despite these career highlights, his company can not be found on the internet.

Mr Mussillon is also planning on recruiting staff and talent from the region, despite having not booked a venue.

“We want to employ locals,” he said, “We’ll recruit from Dubbo if we have to but we’d rather Narromine.”

New direction for Dene

TTN 24th March 2014: The below story is not mentioned in the NT News’ search for Mr Mousillon, but is the first article in the chronology of this conman. In this piece he is being painted as a 19-yo wizkid, and is using the name Dene Broadbelt.

From Dubbo’s Daily Liberal, 20th December 2012

YOU WILL regret this decision for the rest of your life.

Those were the words of Dene Broadbelt’s parents to their son as he dropped out of school the first week of year 11.

“I will show you something and I hope it works,” Mr Broadbelt told his parents.

Now the 19-year-old is holding his head high as he makes his mark as the youngest program director of a radio station in the country.

Mr Broadbelt shared with the Daily Liberal his quick journey to his soon-to-be top job in the industry.

Quitting school he attended the Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS)?and graduated from a short radio course landing him a position at a Canberra radio station.

Soon after, a Broome radio station saw his talent as a radio announcer and offered him a job.

“It was a life changing experience to go to Broome,” he said.

“The moment I stepped off the plane I said I like this place except the heat.”

Mr Broadbent worked as the afternoon announcer and his voice echoed across Western Australia.

The move from the nation’s capital to the far west coast was quite a big jump, he said.

After a year in Broome and wanting to be closer to home he moved to Dubbo to work at Zoo FM.

From a young age he said he dreamed to be “one of these cool people interviewing celebrities” and he loved the world of music.

“I was really good in English and music and my careers teacher told me to get into media,” he said.

Throughout his high school years he volunteered at community radio and decided this was the career he wanted to pursue.

“Once mum and dad saw I passed the course they were really supportive,” he said.

“They had a change of mind and said, ‘Now we can see you’ve got potential and had a good reason to leave school’.”

Mr Broadbelt said after six months working at Zoo FM he saw a program director role at a Goulburn radio station advertised.

At first he had mixed feelings and thoughts about applying for the job.

He believed he had the ability to meet the challenges of overseeing three radio stations but he was worried the employer – who he has declined to name – would think he was too young and inexperienced.

After much thought he applied for the job on a Friday and received an email stating they would be in contact on Monday.

On the Monday morning he was checking his emails every couple of seconds and hoping the phone would ring.

The phone rang and an interview was scheduled for the Friday in Canberra, he said.

“On the Monday morning after the interview I got a call saying, ‘Congratulations, you’ve got the job’,” he said.

“I was gobsmacked. I was over the moon and jumping up and down.”

Mr Broadbelt said he was looking forward to the challenges of managing everything from news to commercials and hiring and firing at the radio stations.

His advice for those wanting a career in radio was to start with community stations and get as much experience as possible.

“If you put your head down and focus you will do well and achieve your dream,” he said.

You may also read!

Whale incident as legalisation nears in WA

Woman injured in incident with two humpback whales while swimming off Exmouth By Heather McNeill for WA Today, August 3,

Read More...

Qantas urged to consider ‘All you can fly’

TTN 3 Aug 2020: Tourism operators are urging Qantas to consider an 'all you can fly' product to keep

Read More...

Junior burger represents the potential of regional youth

Zaynn Bird built a burger empire with little savings or experience – and dad as delivery guy Published: ABC South East

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu