BBQ recall barely implemented, despite death

In Australian Cultural Exports, Media and Communications, National Headlines, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Tourism Routes

Ban on sale of butane cookers after Casino death

About 11.20am on Monday February 2, a 220 gram butane cylinder exploded ripping through a caravan and annexe at Casino’s Glen Villa Resort.

After being airlifted to Royal Brisbane Hospital’s burns unit, that night the decision was made to turn off 33-year-old Nathan Kliendienst’s life support.

Now NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning consumers about portable butane ‘lunchbox’ type cookers due to safety issues, including overheating.

“Compliance certification for all current models of ‘lunchbox’ type gas cookers has been suspended by the independent safety certifiers and cookers of this type can no longer be sold lawfully in NSW,” he said.

“Up to 31 models of butane gas cookers have been withdrawn from sale as they do not meet Australian Standards.

“Retailers in NSW should no longer be stocking or selling these products.”

Mr Stowe said consumers who have purchased cookers should refrain from using them.

“If these products malfunction they can potentially cause serious injuries and I’d encourage people to stop using them,” he said.

“Fair Trading is continuing to work with retailers, manufacturers and other states to ensure products are removed from shelves.

“I’d encourage consumers to notify NSW Fair Trading if they see any devices of this type being sold within stores.”

Portable gas stoves pulled off shelves after NSW warning

People with a type of portable cooker commonly used in cyclone kits and for camping are being warned they may overheat and explode.

The safety warning from New South Wales Fair Trading was issued this week for 31 different “lunchbox” type cookers, which it banned from sale in that state.

“We recommend consumers do not buy portable cookers of this type,” NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe said in a statement.

“Testing, undertaken at the request of NSW Fair Trading and other state gas regulators, has found a fault with the cookers’ shut-off valves, posing a risk that the devices may overheat and could explode.”

The cookers can no longer be sold lawfully in NSW and anyone with the cookers has been warned not to use them.

“If these products malfunction they can potentially cause serious injuries,” Mr Stowe said.

A spokesman at a Bunnings store in Darwin said they began removing the stoves for sale during the week and had also been forced to take them out of cyclone kits they were selling.

He said the butane gas canisters that accompany the stoves were still for sale.

In the Northern Territory product recalls are handled by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and on Sunday the gas stoves did not appear in the organisation’s national recalls website.

You may also read!

annaliese.battista.destinationgoldcoast

Cairns set to lose $6m per day if QLD stays shut

Coronavirus: Tourism operators say they’re paying price of policy gaffe Picture: Destination Gold Coast CEO Annaliese Battista From The Australian, 22nd

Read More...

COVID Tourism: Landlords must negotiate rents

TTN 18 Apr 2020: Argent Law in Melbourne have summarised the basic rights of commercial lessees during COVID-19. Landlords

Read More...
coronacruise.thetourismnews.royalcaribbean.jpg

Royal Caribbean ignored NSW Health advice

TTN 26th March 2020 Audio of The Ovation of the Seas captain declaring that passengers would not require quarantine on disembarkment

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu