The governments plan to revive the NSW hospitality industry will include, $5000 in grants that will be offered to hospitality venues to be able to expand alfresco dining into their car parks and gardens this summer.
The government will also add two new Dine and Discover vouchers to the public, to encourage the public to go out and help the industry.
Related Government: Changes to QLD tourism grants
Related Community: $5 Billion from westconnex sale to western Sydney
From SMH 14.10.21
Restaurants, bars and cafes will be offered $5000 in grants and be able to expand alfresco dining into their car parks and gardens this summer as part of a government package to revive the NSW hospitality industry post-lockdown.
As foreshadowed by the Herald last month, outdoor dining exemptions on footpaths for small bars and pubs will also be made permanent under the government’s $66 million Alfresco Restart Initiative, set to be announced by Treasurer Matt Kean on Thursday.
The government will also provide two new Dine and Discover vouchers to the public in an effort to spur economic growth after the 2021 Delta-lockdown, which cost the NSW economy billions.
Under the new dining plan, the first 5000 hospitality businesses to successfully apply for the new government grant will be given $5000 to expand or make improvements to their alfresco areas.
“That’s why we are supporting new outdoor entertainment and dining precincts to pop up right across the state.”
Planning Minister Rob Stokes said a six-month emergency exemption will be given to hospitality venues to expand onto private land, including car parks, bowling greens and gardens.
“In addition to the permanent easing of rules for dining on footpaths and public spaces, we’re temporarily allowing outdoor dining on privately owned bowling greens and car parks, meaning businesses can expand outdoors on almost any piece of land they own to welcome more customers,” he said.
As part of the alfresco plan, the government will also partner with the 12 former LGAs of concern, as well as the City of Sydney to open streets for community events and activities at a cost of $6.5 million.
NSW residents aged 18 years and over who have not yet applied for any of the Dine and Discover vouchers will receive all six $25 vouchers via their ServiceNSW app if they apply before the program ends.
Close to 4.8 million people have used the Dine and Discover vouchers since they were first rolled out in 2020, providing businesses with a $430 million boost, according to government figures. The rollout of new vouchers is expected to cost the government up to $250 million.
“We experienced the success of the Dine & Discover program when we reopened last time, which is why we are doubling down efforts with an additional two $25 vouchers – one for Dine and one for Discover venues,” Mr Kean said.
Hospitality venues will be able to use the $5000 grant for measures including weather protection, musicians, lighting, temporary ground surfaces and additional furniture.