Image: Proof significant social distancing can stop Australian tourism industry being wiped out.
TTN 16 Mar 2020: The ABC’s Health Reporter Norman Swan and the entire medical establishment says that the one thing that can change the trajectory of COVID-19 is social distancing in extreme form – including tourism operators not only not hosting tourists, but isolating themselves.
Air New Zealand the first to declare job cuts after committing to cutting capacity by 85%.
Consistent message from the top of industry and government is to hunker down, weather this storm, and the larger groups are aware of their responsibility to support growth after a sudden economic winter.
COVID-19 key updates for the Australian Tourism Industry as of Monday 16th March 2020
- Gatherings of more than 500 people in ‘static gatherings’ (close proximity like theatres as opposed to dynamic gatherings like markets) banned in Australia
- Check your insurance policy – insurance industry might be hit worse than anyone since ‘pandemic’ is covered in a lot of business insurance policies
- Australian unconfirmed cases going untested, meaning we can’t expecct that numbers and cases are where we think they are
- Travellers to self-isolate on pain of prosecution
- Cruise ships from foreign ports banned from docking in Australia indefinitely
- The European message – test early and get on top of it before it gets to complete shutdown. French cafes, restaurants and all ‘viral’ environments closed
- Airports empty, cruises, shows and sporting events cancelled
- Schools only remaining open because two thirds of healthcare nurses have children at school
- Victoria declares ‘state of emergency’ from 12pm
Norman Swan, the ABC’s Health Reporter 16th Mar 2020
- No time to waste, each day that goes by we can lose control of this’
- The risk to your child is low, but the risk of your child carrying germs is high
- The ideal is self-isolation, including own-bathroom where possible
- 14-day incubation period is just a guideline – people can test negative then re-test positive. Throat swab has a large rate of false negative
- General large numbers of people to be avoided – definition of large is open to interpretation
- Avoid contact. Disease is spread via surfaces as well as in person.
- Soap and water (virus is held together by fat and soap breaks through), then soap and water gets into skin for excellent sanitation.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian – this will get worse, take care of your loved ones.
We can’t pretend that it’s business as usual, because it’s not.
You could unintentionally be infecting and causing other death in scores of other people.
“Have a plan for the next six months, because the next six months will be horrible… Put a good plan in place for the next six months.”
Many event organiser’s insurance policies may be triggered by government directive banning gatherings of over 500 people.
“It’s not a time to be complacent or reckless or think its not going to affect you.”
Plain english explainer with epidemiologist Michael Osterholm and comedian Joe Rogan
Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.
victoria declared state of v
Info right from the ‘source’ – in-depth conversation about COVID-19 in plain English.
Very interesting interview, skip past any conversation